FileZilla FTP Server
FileZilla Server is a server that supports FTP and FTP over TLS which provides secure encrypted connections to the server.
Support for SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) is not implemented in FileZilla Server.
Installation and Setup - Windows
- Prerequisites: 25MB of space free on your drive and administrator privileges.
- Download FileZilla Server from FileZilla website
- Locate the installer in your download folder and run it
- Confirm you allow FileZilla Server to make changes to your device
- Accept the AGPL license terms, the terms under which FileZilla Server is offered
- Select what to install (Server, Admin interface, desktop icons, shortcuts)
- To decide where to install by clicking Browse, otherwise click Next
- To add the icons for FileZilla Server choose a Start menu folder or create one
- FileZilla Server is installed as a Windows Service, you can start it manually if you want
- Set the port on which FileZilla Server will listen to connections from the Admin interface
- Choose a password and enter it twice to confirm it
- By default the Admin interface will start up automatically, you can deselect that option
- The installation is complete, now you can start configuring FileZilla Server
- Create a user and/or group with permissions to one or more mount point (mount points include a virtual path and a native path)
- You can now use FileZilla Server, select ‘Configure’ menu item to set other elements
Setup on Windows with built-in firewall
After installation, make sure FileZilla Server is registered as an allowed program to the built-in firewall's allowed programs. In the Control Panel, select System and Security. In the Windows Firewall section, choose 'Allowed Programs' to open configuration window. Check both private and public network selection for "FileZilla Server" (Not "FileZilla Server Interface". If "FileZilla Server" is not listed, remember to add "C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\FileZilla server.exe" or wherever it is installed). If private network is not selected, the incoming FTP connection would be blocked.
To simplify the network configuration process FileZilla Server provides a wizard that can be started from the Administration interface by selecting Server › Start a guided configuration of the network menu item. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully, as you’ll need to properly configure any router and firewall you might have. The wizard dialog window asks you to set the range of ports, then you need to set on the NAT device the appropriate port forwarding rules accordingly. FileZilla Server's wizard then asks you to set either the public IP or its hostname. Eventually all the settings are shown in the final dialog window, check them and if you wish use our online FTP client tester to check if everything works.